Friday 22 June 2012

Module 9

In this module, I explored Scootle, social networking, the virtual 3-D program Second Life, Twitter and Linkedin.

I signed into Scootle and explored it. I created two folders and put information that I had found on Scootle in the folders.


I was looking for information on food for my classes. I found information on how technology has changed in the kitchen. I also found a video on growing lotus plants and how they can be used in Chinese food.
I found that Scootle had the curriculum areas of English, History, Mathematics and Science. I found that these subjects had a lot of resources but with Food Technology, there are limited resources.
Scootle has Web 2 applications allowing videos to have the options of either being downloaded or shared. You can see from the above screen shot that you have the option of adding a comment and tags to the resource.

As a teacher, I can also get students to log in by assigning them a pin to access and explore information. I can also share information that I have found with the students. I can add the resource that I have found as a learning path and share this with students.
I also investigated the terms social networking and online networking in this module. There is a  difference with social networking websites and online networking websites. With social networking websites such as Facebook and My Space, it is a single user who is delivering the content that is shared by this single users friends and family. The single user uploads photos, videos and comments on the walls of other users in his/ her  group that has been invited.

Online networking websites include users who have a common interest, communities and groups, blogs, wikis, nings. With online networking, communities and groups can share their knowledge and learning.

I viewed the video on You Tube on Nings but I could not see that this would be used in the classroom. First it costs $24.95 a month to have the most basic plan and most students could not afford this. It is a monthly fee. It is also a U.S website as well and when you pay you have to pay with a credit card.

I viewed the Second Life You Tube video and can see the educational value of stepping into an Avatar's shoes and taking on another identity as a chosen Avatar. I went to a TEA (Technology Educators Association) meeting in 2010 at the Powerhouse Museum in Sydney and watched with amazement the educational demonstration given by a Sydney girls school and their use of Second Life in the classroom.

Students could fly around and explore the Great Wall of China. They could go to London Bridge and London Tower. They could sit in a virtual classroom and be taught a lesson by a teacher. Students could also interact with other students from another part of the world and debate issues. A topic can be posted for debating and then students can meet and then speak about the topic. There is a feature where languages can be translated, so all students can communicate.

I can see Second Life being an educationally fun and interactive way to learn by this generation who are into playing games that are in 3-D. Second Life is in 3-D and allows students to explore the world. In Art, they can visit the Sistine Chapel and view Michelangelo's works of art. I have seen them in real life and was amazed by the Second Life virtual 3-D view of the same works of art. It truely gives students a close up view of the works.

I think when more teachers are trained in Second Life it will be used widely.
I would love to be able to incorporate visiting countries around the world and look at the foods eaten and the customs with my students in Food Technology and Hospitality using Second Life. I have more to explore using this program.

I remember in 2007 when I was working overseas that there were people in my staff who had virtual gardens and virtual aquariums and looked after them. It is on Facebook and you can share these with other users in your own social network that have an interest in these.

I think the distinction between social networking and online networking are being merged and blurred as the boundaries become more connected. Social networking websites like Facebook do primarily post views and pictures and videos of content related to a single user but this single user is connected to networks of other persons and these people are again connected. In the old terms six degrees of separation is no longer just six degrees. People, places, views and opinions are being linked instantly using the World Wide Web, mobile phone technology, new apps that have been and are being created.
I explored Linkedin. I had a Linkedin account but didn't see much benefit in belonging to it. It connected me with other people that I knew and I could view their resumes. I think of Linkedin as a job network website and you can contact people based on their resumes. I don't think I would use this in my class. I could see it of use for students who want to put their resumes online for jobs in the Hospitality industry once they have finished their course at school.

However, there are professions that can benefit from Linkedin. For example, my brother who is in IT actually benefits from belonging to LinkedIn as he can be contacted and obtain jobs in this industry.
While I was researching today for some art supplies I found the art supplier Eckersleys to have a website that allows sharing extensively. http://www.eckersleys.com.au/

I investigated this website and found it a new icon for sharing. It is green and has two branches.
 
When you click on it, you can share what you have found to your friends using a variety of Web 2 applications.  I have taken screen shots of these. I was amazed by the variety of sharing options and there are many Web 2 applications that I have not even heard of! I am sure that there will be more to come as Web 2 is constantly evolving. I have taken five screen shots of the icons that you can share the products from the Eckersley's website.



As you can see, there are many places that you can share your information. I did some further investigation and found that Eckersley's sharing was powered by www.sharethis.com
I explored this website and found the following image that I thought summed up sharing using Web 2 applications.

















No comments:

Post a Comment