Tuesday 19 June 2012

Module 7

This module introduced me to the social bookmark website called Delicious. I joined Delicious and started to bookmark websites that I use.
I watched the Web 2 course videos that were set up in the Web 2 course but I found this video on You Tube to be the best one. I think this video should be in your course for reference as it taught me how to set up Delicious and that I needed to add the Firefox add on buttons to my toolbar. The link to the video is http://youtu.be/tcgloI3Zw4Y

Above: The Delicious buttons have been added to my toolbar.

I also found other You Tube videos helpful in understanding Delicious. They are listed below.
 
Building Stacks on Delicious


How to use Del.icio.us


The building stacks video was excellent as I wanted to investigate what a Stack was. I now know that it is a collection of information and photos on a certain topic and you can follow stacks and share them and also comment by creating a response. I looked at the Sweet Stuff Stack on the current Delicious website and found this stack. I am now following it and also made a comment.




I  also like the Delicious bookmark feature where you can send your bookmarks to a friend by email or twitter. It has the sharing feature that is what Web 2 encompasses. I have used Delicious to bookmark websites that I can use in my class. I can also share my bookmarks with students as well and make some bookmarks private and others public.

 You can see in the above link that there are some of my bookmarks. I have also got tags as well that make it easier to use. I like it and as I am a contract teacher, I have lost bookmarks from various sites in other schools. Now I can keep them on Delicious.



Delicious can be used by students to find stacks about healthy eating and recipes which topics that are taught in my Food Technology classes.

The blog that I have chosen to comment on Module 5 and Module 7 of Melissa Byrne's blog. melissahjayde.blogspot.com.au 
I have taken a screen shot of Melissa's blog on Module 7 below. It can be found on the Internet.
I think it is great to be able to post your ideas and share them with others and let others comment on them.

 
I read about how Melissa thought Glogster in Module 5 could be used in the classroom and added my comments. I liked the idea that Melissa had about using Glogsgter to promote an event at school. Here is a snap shot of my comment.

 

I have also commented on Melissa's Module 7. There were six other comments on Delicious and it was good to read what other people had to say. I like Delicious and it was good that Melissa also thought that it can be used in students doing collaborative group research projects. The other people who commented on Module 7 agreed.
Here is my posted comment.




I enjoyed learning about Delicious and have taught a colleague at work today how to use it. We were at a meeting and she said she had lost the website that she needed for her class. I gave her the link via email to the You Tube video that I thought was the best one that taught me about Delicious http://youtu.be/tcgloI3Zw4Y 
She said she had heard of Delicious but had not tried it. I told her that with Delicious she can have access to her bookmarks on all computers because Delicious is not just linked to one computer but it is a website that you can store your bookmarks on. She was happy to hear about this feature.




No comments:

Post a Comment