Tuesday 12 June 2012

Module 4

 This module taught me about Podcasting. I watched three videos on podcasting.

Create a podcast using Audacity http://youtu.be/IqJw94YozT

How to create a podcast for dummies http://youtu.be/SF6WmxRIeHg

Podcasting in plain English http://youtu.be/qBgO30h2c

I haven't used podcasting in the classroom but I can see that it can be used in Year 11 Hospitality work placement where students can record what they have been doing and can interview staff on Work Health and Safety.

In Year 11 Hospitality work placement, students have to ask five questions to the Work Health and Safety officer and record their answers.

Currently the students write a blog about their experiences during work placement and write about the interview with the Work Health and Safety officer but having a podcast is much better as they can share this to the class and directly interview the person and record this on their computer.

I have revised the hand written journal to a blog for five days for work placement this year to writing a blog for five days. I can develop the next work placement assessment to include a podcast of the interview with the Work Health and Safety officer. Students need to learn how to make a podcast first and then apply it. They can also listen to podcasts from the experiences of others who work in the Hospitality industry in class as well to get them ready for work placement.

In my Year 8 Food class, the students have to use digital media to communicate and inform a 4 to 15 year old on why sustaining a healthy lifestyle is important in order to maintain good health throughout life. This assessment task has the time frame of a term and a half. The first term, students investigate, design and plan their ideas. The first five weeks of the second term, students create their digital media and evaluate their project. I have had students use iMovie, iStop motion, Garage Band on their Macbooks. Other students have used Web 2 programs such as Go Animate and Extra Normal and some students inserted Prezi as part of their presentation along with iStop motion and then made an iMovie.

Students were asked to share their digital presentations to the class to their peers and it was very interesting and exciting to watch students movies with themselves in the movie plus using information from the internet and their own research incorporated into the movie. For example, students used a diagram of the Health Diet Pyramid and also included voice overs explaining this and then put themselves in the video was well. I would have liked to share a video here but you can only load it with You Tube and my student has not put her video on You Tube.

Last year I learnt how to use Animoto. I have taught students how to use Animoto as a way of presenting images and text quickly. Students have used Animoto in my food class to create quick presentations advertising their cafe with the food products that are available. The free 30 second Animoto is a great way to start.

I used Movie Maker last year with my Year 8 ICT class to create a movie about Nature. They took their own photos from going around the school and used transitions and text to present their poems.

I have used You Tube to make a video last year of Chinese New Year celebrations in Market City. I learnt how to use You Tube by reading the instructions as I really wanted to send this greeting to my friends and family around the world. I used the video as a teaching aid when I showed the Year 8 class how to make a video using You Tube. I talked to them about the use of the camera and adding music and text. They learnt about Chinese New Year and celebrations involving not only the dragon but foods as well.

I will continue to explore and use Web 2 tools and programs on Macbooks and PC's. Last year one of my Year 7's taught me about a Web 2 website called Pizap. Go to www.pizap.com
The Year 7's were designing cover pages for their graphics project. I have taught my Year 8 food class this year how to use Pizap and they can insert a JPEG file into iStop Motion and also into iMovie.

Read the feedback below that the students have written about their digital media assessment task. They liked using iMovie and iStop Motion and thoroughly enjoyed sharing their creations with the rest of the class.

 Evaluation of my DT Assessment Task  By Isabelle Year 8

What areas did I do well in?
I think I did well in create and my attitudes towards cooking. I enjoyed doing create and I am proud of my iMovie.

What areas could I improve in?
I think that I could have improved in my Plan stage because I only got a 2. I think I actually should have gotten a better mark, but thats okay. I should try harder next time to complete the whole criteria.

What did I learn?
I learnt about more about sustaining a healthy lifestyle. I learnt about eating healthy and now I have started to eat healthy. I also learnt how to use voice over for imovie and had a great time experiencing that!

What did I enjoy?
I enjoyed making the iMovie and working with it. I loved learning about sustaining a healthy lifestyle.

Evaluation of my DT Assessment task  By Jamiah Year 8
What areas did I do well?
 I did well in the Evaluate area as I answered all the questions and criteria. I also did well at creating my movie and meeting the design specifications. I think I made an excellent movie that I am very proud of.

What I need to improve in?
Next time I should read the criteria on the mark sheet. I also need to describe how I would evaluate the success of my movie in the Investigate section. In the design section I should have evaluated my designs and in the Plan I also needed evaluation.

What did I learn?
I learnt more about healthy eating and I also learnt how to use new programs like “Istop Motion”.

What did I enjoy?
I enjoyed creating my movie even though it took up my whole holidays. I also enjoyed watching my final movie and also watching my classmates movies.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Students loved creating and using Web 2 programs and the programs on their Macbooks such as iMovie, Photoshop, iStop Motion. With PC's students can use Movie Maker to make and show their movies. My students and I will continue learning as technology is continually emerging and what's around the corner will be yet to be seen.





No comments:

Post a Comment